Today I wanna share with you one of my favorite breakfast recipes. It is a mix of oats and
The complex carbs and fiber in this meal slow down the digestion and help maintain balanced blood sugar levels. The fiber furthermore helps to keep your digestive system running smoothly.
Oats are an excellent source of iron and zinc and combined with ground flax seeds you even get a good amount of the omega-3 fatty acid ALA, which together with its derivatives EPA and DHA promotes heart and brain health.
The high omega-3 content of flax seeds creates an optimal omega-6 to omega-3 ratio of 2:1. A low ratio can be very beneficial to your body’s inflammatory response and the conversion process of ALA to EPA and DHA.
Additionally, this meal is high in protein and contains a good amount of essential amino acids such as BCAAs, and provides 0.7g of the essential amino acid lysine.
Digestion and nutrient absorption
Maximize digestibility and nutrient absorption by…
- soaking your grains and seeds overnight,
- adding an acidic medium (e.g. apple cider vinegar) to the soaking process,
- adding a tablespoon of rye flour or buckwheat groats. Both are high in the enzyme phytase, which helps break down the phytic acid,
- grinding your flax seeds*.
*Unground flax seeds will pass right through your body without being digested.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (50g)
- 1/2 cup spelt flakes (50g)
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 dates, chopped
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup plant drink (240ml)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 tbsp buckwheat groats (optional)
Add the rolled oats, spelt flakes, ground flax seeds and plant drink to a bowl the night before and let it sit until next morning. To improve digestibility, add apple cider vinegar and buckwheat groats to the bowl for soaking.
On the next morning, add the cinnamon, cardamom, chopped dates and banana and enjoy your vegan power oats!
Alternatively, you can add all ingredients into a blender to create a tasty smoothie.
|680 kcal||129 g||25 g||12 g|
I hope you will enjoy this recipe! Try it out and let me know in the comments.